Stepchild adoption takes some serious consideration, however, when you marry someone who already has a child or children, adopting them will make your family bond better than you could ever imagine.
The process of adopting a step child will probably be easier than a usual adoption process.
Points to ponder before adopting stepchildren:
1. Are you adopting the child because you really want to? Do you love them enough to make them your own? If you have a different motive for adopting them then you probably shouldn't do it.
2. Before you adopt a stepchild you should have a heart-to-heart talk with them to be sure that they also want you to take the place of their estranged parent. For a child, having a new parent come into their life can be a very serious endeavor, so it is best if the decision is a mutual one.
3. Talk about what your intentions are with your new spouse, after all, the child is theirs and therefore they have every right to have a say about the adoption.
4. Stop and think about the parent whom you are replacing. Are they still in contact with the child? If so, it is best that they too consent to the adoption.
This will avoid conflicts, plus, the biological parent is required to consent, unless the parent is deceased or the child is proclaimed abandoned by the government.
5. Abandonment will be defined differently, depending on the state in which you live, so be sure that your case meets the appropriate definition before you plan to declare the child's abandonment.
6. Be sure to hire a lawyer. It is very important to get legal advice when adopting a stepchild.
7. Because stepchild adoption can be faster than a normal adoption, be prepared for sudden progress to take place during the adoption process.
8. Since there are so many issues involved in an adoption, you might want to consider hiring a counseling service to help make the endeavor easier to accept for the entire family.
Stepchild adoption is quite serious and should be carefully considered. Once you become their, you are responsible for them in every way.